For most people a birthday party is an opportunity to relax with friends, but if you're the sort of person who likes making, baking and decorating, then a 'Tea at the Ritz' themed birthday party could be perfect for you too!
This week I turned 22, and I decided to bring the Ritz to my home!
For anyone who doesn't know, the Ritz is a very posh hotel in London, that serves an expensive afternoon tea every day.
|Taken from: Isablue tumblr|
My 'Tea at the Ritz' Menu
Savoury Sanwiches and Pastries
- Egg mayonnaise and cress.
- Chargrilled meditteranean vegetables and basil pesto.
- Mature cheddar with caramelised red onion chutney
- Crackers with cucumber and cream cheese
- Cranberry and cheddar cheese.
- Selection of Vol-au-vents (I'll admit these may have been from tesco!)
- Cherry and sultana scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
- Lemon Tart (cookbook - http://awaywiththedaisies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/great-british-bake-off-how-to-bake.html ).
- Mini Victoria Sanwich with raspberry jam and buttercrea.
- White Chocolate and Pistachio Brownies.
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Chocolate Truffles (recipe - http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6344/easy-chocolate-truffles.aspx) .
A selection of teas, Schloer and non-alcohlic Bucks Fizz (just mix together some lemonade and orange juice!).
1) To create the right atmosphere make sure that you play classical music. However, be sure to choose your classical music wisely, as I found that a 9 minute Lord of the Rings overture isn't quite in keeping with the theme...
2) If your guests aren't always punctual, make sure to keep all food covered until served. A fancy display may look appealing to guests on arrival, but sanwiches can go stale quickly.
3) If you are serving the food in courses, make sure not to do too many sandwiches to start. I think I'll be eating leftover cakes for the next few weeks!
4) Make the scone dough in advance and lay it out on baking trays. Then cover these with clingfilm and pop them in the fridge. Cook them just before serving.
Good luck if you decide to host your own 'Tea at the Ritz' party!